Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Why we should stop drinking bottled water

My favorite local public radio show, Forum, on my favorite local public radio station, KQED, just aired an episode interviewing the author of "Blue Covenant: The Global Water Crisis and the Coming Battle for the Right to Water." You can listen to it online here.

It's an hour-long show, but I *highly* recommend you listen to it. Great show in general, the host Michael Krasny is a really great interviewer and discussion leader.

Anyway, the show really sheds light on some fundamental issues relating to the water crisis and how it relates to the environment as a whole. And, it puts the whole water industry into perspective. The recent news about Pepsi, Nestle, and Coca Cola's bottled water coming straight from tap was a shock to me. We tend to make assumptions that things that are packaged with brands we recognize are of a higher "quality," and I agree with Maude, it's elitist. I hope that bottled water becomes uncool at some point in the future. As for me, I've just ordered some nice Camelbak reusable water bottles for my own use.

Also, if you're unsure of the quality of your tap water, you should do some digging online. I found out a whole lot about the water in my neighborhood and the neighborhoods around it, including why the water is so hard, and the implications of that. The filter in my freezer's water dispenser is sufficient to remove the chlorine used to treat it.

Alright, back to being busy....

No comments: